Sustainable Peace and Human Rights Education
This interactive online seminar explores the questions: How can education promote sustainable peace? What are human rights and how do they play a role in formal and informal educational systems? And, how can we assist educators integrate sustainable peace and human rights discourse into school and educational curriculums and how human rights can change the future of schooling?
We will begin with an overview of the methodologies of sustainable peace practices and human right education, while covering a wide range of civil and political rights, economic and social rights, and women’s rights and their expression in educational (formal and informal) curriculums and textbooks. We will explore human rights as a governing principle for dialogue and as a basic principle for living together, and focus on human rights education as a means to working towards the materialization of the cosmopolitan ideals of justice and peace.
Making use of the tools available to us in the realm of online seminars, the course will develop around the realization of sustainable peace, human rights' histories and her-stories through a Sustainable Peace Human Rights Book Project. Working in groups, this project will mobilize students to dream, develop, design, write and produce an online video of virtual children’s book on a human right campaign, organization or activist from the past or present.
- Creation of a Sustainable Peace and Human Rights book in a group project
- Key terms: peace education, human rights, activism, advocacy.
- Educational shape of civil and political rights, and intersection with human rights
- Human rights as basis for dialogue and sustainable peace
This online seminar is a platform for exchange among professionals in the field of peace education and human rights.
- Participation in weekly online sessions (Mondays at 15h (CEST), June 17 to July 29)
- Participation in the technical check (Monday, June 10)
- Approximately 2 hours/week self-paced study leading to the development of open source educational material (e.g. children's book)
To apply for the course, please click on the button. Apply now
|Evaluation||Development of educational material|
|No of Participants||16|
If you have any questions about this course, please get in touch.
In order to send a message, please click on this button. Get in contact