Documenting and Archiving from a Dealing with the Past Perspective
Documentary evidence plays an important role in Dealing with the Past processes: It is indispensable for truth seeking, accountability, reparations, institutional reforms, vetting, memorialization and history. However, if the creation, collection, management and preservation of such evidence is not properly done, records and archives documenting violations of human rights and international humanitarian law can be at risk of losing their value and thus prevent their future usability.
In this course, participants are introduced to topics related to documentation. Next to archival principles, arrangement and description, preservation and protection, as well as outreach and promotion, participants will also learn about ethical and legal responsibilities, such as informed consent, information privacy and do no harm.
The course is perfect for those of you who want to update their documentation skills in a practice-oriented manner. Course materials are introduced by drawing on concrete examples, which allows participants to gain valuable knowledge for their daily work.
In this course you will:
- Acquire a thorough understanding of documenting and archiving practices to support the right to know, the right to reparations, the right to justice as well as guarantees of non-recurrence.
- Familiarize yourself with documentation and archival principles.
- Understand the technical requirements of information, archives and data management.
- Reflect on ethical principles and legal responsibilities involved in the creation, management and preservation of records and archives for Dealing with the Past processes.
- Exchange experiences and become part of a community of practice.
This course is designed for professionals engaged in Dealing with the Past processes and Conflict Transformation and for practitioners and academics interested in complementing their own experiences with current conceptual insights and practical knowledge.
To apply for the course, please click on the button. Apply now
|Confirmation of Participation
If you have any questions about this course, please get in touch.
In order to send a message, please click on this button. Get in contact